Friday, April 28, 2017

Masked Identity





Materials Used:

Wire
Gel Medium
Tape
Spray Paint


Artist Statement:

Because this project was called "masked identity", I took that very literally and made a mask that quite literally is a hidden identity. Something that a lot of people don't know about me is that I was adopted. As a child, I didn't quite understand what that meant other than being unwanted which caused me to be shy and closed off sometimes. This is what drove my decision to make several pieces hovering over and hugging the body. Once I was old enough to fully understand and appreciate my family, I let go and felt free of this issue which is why I had a few shoulder pieces going away from the mask to represent opening up. Even if this mask were not about adoption, I believe it can relate to a number of different people who have ever felt secluded or shy and then overcoming that with the ability to let go of their issues and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment