Friday, April 28, 2017

Balsa Wood




Materials Used:

Balsa wood
Pastels
Wood Glue
Paper
Tape
Hot Glue
Pins

Artist statement:

In this project, the task was to design three different small sculptures using the required materials and having at least one design element. For my first one, I began cutting and sanding small squares and triangles and arranging them. Afterwards, I used a combination of wood glue and pastels in different colors on top of the wood to create texture. For the second one, I wanted to create a focal point that only could be seen through one, small hole. I cut out circles that got smaller in size and held them together while sanding them in order to make sure they were able to fit together. This proved to be an incredibly difficult and time consuming task. When I was finished with this, I put a small, crescent shaped piece of paper on the bottom of all of the circles and arranged them so that while looking down on it, it created a eyeglass like shape. My final sculpture was the easiest and my personal favorite. I made a box and put smaller balsa wood pieces inside of it and poured hot glue on the top to create a whimsical blanket over the wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment