Thursday, March 23, 2017

On Longing

"The body is the primary mode of receiving scale."

In order to understand the vastness or narrowness of something, we usually relate it to the size of our bodies for comparison. This picture relates to that quote because even though I'm sizably the biggest thing in the image, I'm surrounded by an expansive area.




"Capacity of objects to serve as traces of authentic experience."

In my opinion, this statement is trying to say that souvenirs of mundane objects do not qualify as a memento of a truly authentic experience. It is something from an event, time, or location that cannot be replicated in the way that it originally was. Whenever I look at my senior prom dress, only worn for a matter of hours, it reminds me of my experience. It's something that only happens once and this picture in addition to the dress perfectly illustrate this statement. 




"The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped into the body."

When a family member became sick, my aunt would bring beads and thread to the hospital to pass the time. It became a regular thing. When he passed away, I was left with physical memories with family and supporting him. I made the decision to create a jewelry line in order to take my depression and sadness and turn it into a positive memory. These souvenirs are not just enveloped into my body, they are memories, happiness, depression, and hope that I wear proudly as a positive statement. 




"Nostalgia cannot be sustained without loss."

Growing up on a farm and constantly around animals, I grew an incredibly deep affinity and respect for them. It is debatably impossible to reflect and have nostalgic feelings towards something without loss. This was my favorite horse that unfortunately passed away. I believe this picture truly captures our relationship and it makes me feel nostalgic. 




"To have a souvenir of the exotic is to posses both a specimen and a trophy."

This statement is explaining that there is power in possessing something from a personal experience and that it is to be cherished and appreciated. This violin has been in my family since the 1500's and was restored and given to me. It is my only instrument that I have displayed on my wall because even though I do avidly play it, it's almost like a trophy to me - something that I'm proud of and I regard as being something worthy of showing off. 



No comments:

Post a Comment